Thursday, January 14, 2010

Healthy Living


 With the start of the New Year there is always talk about "resolutions" and such. Honestly I stopped making "resolutions" a long time ago and instead have made goals for myself, no matter what month of the year it is. One of many goals I've set for myself in recent months, has been to get back into shape and hopefully lose some of the excess weight I've managed to gain over the years. I'm done with dieting, only because I don't really over eat or eat a lot of "bad" things. I never have, I just think my metabolism has slowed down a lot these past few years. Also when I'm dieting I feel so deprived, and that's doesn’t do my mentality any good. I love food and I think that all of us could eat everything as long as we can portion control. I really just want to feel good, tone up some "problems areas" and hopefully get off blood pressure medication. That's my REAL goal, to get off the medication. I was diagnosed with high-blood pressure almost 2 years ago, and have been taking medicine ever since. It's something that runs in my family. My mother, my grandmother, my grandfather, my uncles...it's in my genes, but that's no excuse for me to sit back and just let it happen. My Dr. has always said that regular exercise can make a big difference. My current dosage is very low, and I really hope to keep it low or better yet, get rid of it all together. So....today, I made my first attempt to be more active. I met up with an old friend who I've known for a while takes morning walks right near my work. I can totally fit in 20 to 30 minutes each morning, so I did. I met up with her today, and will be meeting her tomorrow as well. Another attempt I've made today is that I am joining another newly found friend at the gym tonight. I hope to stay committed to this; it should certainly make a difference to exercise with friends. I've tried going on my own, and I just end up getting lazy. No accountability, that's what happens. So I'm going to try this buddy-system that I set for myself and hopefully get the ball rolling. I'm hoping it will give me a good start on adding regular exercise to my routine. Wish me luck! I will try and post updates. Maybe blogging about it will also serve as some kind of accountability.

No comments:

Post a Comment